The Economist and thousands of other emagazines in OverDrive
Over 3000 in-demand magazines are now available through OverDrive alongside ebooks and audiobooks in the Libby app and on OverDrive site.
OverDrive is an e-book service with materials mainly in English. If you know and love OverDrive for ebooks and audiobooks you can now browse and borrow magazines from the same platform. How seamless and easy!
Magazines do not count toward the OverDrive ebook checkout limits, so you can borrow at least dozens of emagazines per week. You can read full issues of popular magazines with your Helmet library card and pin code.
All magazines are available in unlimited simultaneous use for Helmet library patrons. Popular, top-selling titles in the new OverDrive magazines package include The Economist Continental Europe Edition, Vanity Fair, Stern, Paris Match and hundreds of other new magazines you won’t find in our other magazine services.
How to use magazines in OverDrive’s Libby?
- On Libby’s homepage you can see a Staff Magazine Picks category with a few dozen exemplary magazines. The rest you will find under Magazines
- Select Borrow to check out a magazine
- There is a lending period for magazines. You can choose between the 7 or 14 days options
- Magazines can be zoomed in and out. Tap the middle of the screen to navigate the issue
- You can choose an article view and thumbnail view for magazine titles
- Magazines can be downloaded to Libby for offline use
- There is a “rolling” 3 years of back issues wherever available, based on the date of publication
- The most recent issue of every magazine will appear in search results, with links to previous issues from the magazine’s title details page
- All magazines can be renewed within 3 days of the end of the lending period. If the loan ends, the magazine can just be borrowed again immediately
- You may also read magazines on Libby’s browser version www.libbyapp.com/helmet
- Libby app is available to download on iOS or Android mobile devices
Instructions on using Libby
If you want to read your magazines from OverDrive’s desktop site, the same instructions apply except the downloading. After you have checked out a magazine title, you are able to read the magazine in the browser.