The Little Helmet Reading Challenge 2021
The Reading Challenge is about the excitement of searching for a suitable book and about playing, discoveries and inspiration. This year you get to search for books where people observe nature or eat treats, for example.
This challenge includes those items from the Helmet Reading Challenge that can be realised with children’s and young adult literature. The Little Helmet Reading Challenge is also suitable for adults who would like a slightly easier challenge.
Search, explore and make discoveries
There are many ways to find books that fit the challenge. Can you find a book with a cat on the cover by exploring the shelves of the library? How would you look for a book where people listen to music or that contains recipes? Do you think you can use the library material search to look for books with a number in the title? Choose books suitable for you and tell your friends about any good finds.
Do the challenge just the way you want to. A class doing the challenge may agree upon its own common rules. You can challenge another class, school or even the parents of your class.
Do you need more reading tips?
Are you having trouble finding a suitable and interesting book? You can also ask for the help of a reading coach. With the help of an adult, you can also ask for tips from the lively Reading Challenge Facebook group and Kirjastokurre on Instagram.
Ready, steady, read!
A skilled reader thrives. When you read, you learn to understand many kinds of texts and discover words with which you can tell your own stories. You grow to understand different emotions, other people and history and learn about different eras, places and customs.
It is never too late to develop your reading skills. You will grow to be a great reader if you keep on practising. Choose books that suit you. Once you have finished the Reading Challenge, you will be stronger by many pages.
Little Helmet Reading Challenge 2021
1. A fairytale book
2. A book related to a TV series or a film
3. A book featuring a group of friends
4. A book with a number in its title
5. A book set in the woods
6. A book that is a part of a series
7. A book that has something in common with your own life
8. A book whose title includes the name of the protagonist
9. A book related to a specific season
10. A book featuring cycling
11. A book that you read outdoors
12. A book whose protagonist is an animal
13. A book that is useful for you to read
14. A thriller or a mystery
15. A book with a cat on the front or back cover
16. A book that teaches a skill
17. A book where nature is observed
18. A book featuring listening to music
19. A book including recipes
20. A book written by a Nordic author
21. A book featuring eating treats
22–23. Two books on the same subject
24. A book published in 2021
25. A book recommended by a teacher or a member of the library staff
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Printable version of the Reading Challenge
Helmets lilla läsutmaning
Малый литературный вызов Helmet
Die Kleine Helmet Lese-Challenge
Text and choosing of the items: Marjukka Peltonen and Sini Katves, Espoo City Library; Henna Ylihärsilä, Ymmersta School and Heli Haaro, Vanttila School