Helmet Music Challenge 2019
The Helmet Music Challenge da capo! The 2019 remix!
Since 2015 the Helmet Reading Challenge has inspired people to find something new and interesting to read, as well as share it with others. In 2018 also music lovers were invited to search for and share new listening experiences. The challenge was met with enthusiasm by more than 800 participants.
The next Music Challenge compiled by the Helmet Libraries will start soon. You will have another 50 ways to choose something new to listen to from the multitude of all the music in the world. So, here we go again, do come along!
What is the Music Challenge?
You will listen to 50 songs / compositions / tracks / releases / albums previously unknown to you during the course of the year 2019.
The Music Challenge is suitable for anyone, and everyone can tackle it in their own way, either by staying safely in one’s own comfort zone or by heading bravely for the uncharted grounds. The challenge is an excellent way to update one’s musical knowledge, reach for new experiences, test or broaden one’s tastes, or just enjoy music!
You can take up the challenge at your own speed, but you can also advance in the given order week by week. In addition, a new listening tip will be given weekly in the Music Challenge Facebook group by the library staff. You may also share what you’ve experienced musically and discuss it with your fellow adventurers in the group.
Come dive for musical pearls! Find the pleasure of listening, venture out with music, take up the Music Challenge!
Helmet Music Challenge 2019
- A reggae album
- A performer or a composer previously unknown to you
- Music that is or has been banned somewhere sometime
- A piece of music from each of Finland’s neighbouring countries (Sweden, Norway, Russia)
- Two versions of a classic album (the original and a remastered/deluxe version)
- Finnic peoples’ traditional laments (= itkuvirret)
- Ukulele music
- Music recommended by your neighbour
- Marching band music
- Music from your favourite holiday destination
- Music that comforts you when you’re sad
- Music for a preparty
- A string quartet
- Music that was important to you as a teenager
- Bagpipe music
- Music composed by a bass player
- Instrumental music
- Train-themed music
- A piano concerto composed for one hand
- Music related to a particular town or neighbourhood
- An album that’s not on Spotify
- An album released 50 years ago (in 1969)
- An ECM Records release
- An album that has a transport vehicle on the cover
- A one-hit wonder
- Music composed by Hildegard of Bingen
- A children’s music classic
- Music with a climate theme
- A live recording
- A podcast by a music journalist
- Music related to a historical or political event
- Music you like but would rather not admit to
- A piece composed for solo double bass
- Music from a musical
- Doom metal
- A record with a pink sleeve
- The original version of a more famous cover song
- A posthumous piece of music
- Music performed by a wind orchestra
- Music recommended by someone under the age of 10
- Music by a group that’s still performing in its original line-up
- Music by an artist whose image you find irritating
- An animal-themed piece of music
- Pop music performed by a classical artist
- A record self-released by the artist
- Music recommended by a librarian
- Computer-made music
- Your family member’s favourite music
- Music to fall asleep to
- ‘Atypical’ Christmas music